- 1 How do I adjust the carburetor on my Onan generator?
- 2 What causes an Onan generator to surge?
- 3 How do I adjust the governor on my Onan 4000 generator?
- 4 Why does my generator go up and down?
- 5 Why is my generator not running smoothly?
- 6 Where is the fuel pump on an Onan generator?
- 7 What kind of oil do I put in my Onan generator?
- 8 How do you adjust a carburetor mixture?
- 9 How do you adjust a carburetor air fuel mixture?
How do I adjust the carburetor on my Onan generator?
Run the engine until it is fully warmed up. With the engine idling, turn the low speed adjustment screw counterclockwise until the engine speed begins to drop, then turn the screw clockwise one-quarter turn.
What causes an Onan generator to surge?
Prolonged surging is indicative of a governor and/or carburetor out of adjustment. Unfortunately, the carburetor and governor should only be adjusted while monitoring the voltage and frequency and while applying a measured load at the same time. In other words, RV generators cannot be tuned by ear.
How do I adjust the governor on my Onan 4000 generator?
Locate the screw in the governor arm. Turn the screw until the engine is running as smoothly as possible at full load, then allow the engine to idle. The engine should idle down smoothly with no sputtering at any point. Make adjustments to this screw until the engine runs smoothly at full speed and at idle.
Why does my generator go up and down?
If you are experiencing surges and your generator is nearing or beyond its expected service life, consider replacing it. Fuel Problems. Generators have specific fuel requirements; using poor quality fuel, the wrong type of fuel, or low fuel levels can cause operational issues, including surges. Maintenance Problems.
Why is my generator not running smoothly?
The carburetor might be clogged. A clogged carburetor is most often due to leaving fuel in the generator for a long period of time. This sticky fuel can clog up the carburetor and cause the engine to stall or run roughly. If the carburetor is clogged, try cleaning it with carburetor cleaner.
Where is the fuel pump on an Onan generator?
The fuel pump is located behind and below a bunch of stuff on the left side of the generator compartment. To get to it, you’ll have to remove everything on top and in front of it.
What kind of oil do I put in my Onan generator?
Onan 5500 generators need a diesel quality oil because they are diesel-powered generators. While 10W40 is the recommended oil, many users have mentioned that they have gotten great results as well from Mobil1 20-50 synthetic oil.
How do you adjust a carburetor mixture?
Locate the idle mixture screw and turn it clockwise until the needle lightly touches the seat. Then, turn the screw counterclockwise 1-1/2 turns. If your carburettor has a main jet adjustment screw at the base of the float bowl, turn the screw clockwise until you feel it just touch the seat inside the emulsion tube.
How do you adjust a carburetor air fuel mixture?
Turn the screw clockwise until the engine starts to sound rough.
- Tightening the screw weakens the air and fuel mixture and decreases the amount of fuel flowing to the engine.
- Tightening the screw is also called making the fuel mixture leaner, which lowers the RPMs at which the engine idles.